Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Warm South Africa


It's Wednesday morning here in South Africa, and everyone at home is surely fast asleep. I arrived in Capetown at 6:00 a.m. SA time on Sunday, checked into my room in Stellenbosch by 11:00 a.m. and then slept for a couple of hours before meeting Liena Hoffman, the administrator for the theology faculty at Stellenbosch University. Monday morning I spent 2-3 hours at the university, meeting most of the theology faculty and getting oriented to the place. Then, slept and worked Monday afternoon, and went to a faculty dinner Monday night. Yesterday morning I was ferried about in order to get my computer set up to run on the university's system and to rent a car.



Yesterday I drove (on the left side of the road -- without killing anyone!) into Capetown and tried go to Robben Island (where Mandela and many others were imprisoned during the Apartheid years), but it was too windy and so they weren't open for tours. The clouds were covering table mountain (the "tablecloth"--as they call the clouds), so I couldn't do that either! I wandered around the Waterfront a bit, then drove down to Cape Point and Cape of Good Hope. Got LOTS of experience driving! And the landscape and seascape was amazing. I'll see if I can figure out how to post a picture or two. But that won't be until tomorrow at the earliest.



Already I have had wonderful conversations with folks here. The faculty is very engaging. I especially warmed to the Dean here, Elna Mouton--She's a lively woman! And a NT scholar who has been dean for 2 years, so there's much for us to talk about. Obviously, conversations about race and theology are particularly potent, and interesting. How clearly one sees the reality that race is socially constructed. Here in South Africa, there are only these official races -- African (black), colored (mixed racial), white, and Asian. Everyone is "assigned" to a race, and this creates odd categories. For example, a Jew is "white," but an Arab is "black." Hispanics? White, I suppose. The artificiality of it all is striking--and sheds light on our own American nonsense as well. Much to learn! And, with the dismantling of Apartheid such a recent occurrence, it's a topic that is, in some ways, easier to talk about here than at home--not that it's any less inflammatory, but it's so unavoidable.

I was hoping to go to the University of Fort Hare on Sunday through today, but that fell through. The UFH is the oldest African tertiary (college) school in SA, the alma mater of Stephen Biko and Nelson Mandela. It's about 1000 km away from Stellenbosch, and I was looking forward to the drive and all the sights--Elephants and all--along the way. Already I see that I will have to make a return trip, and allow much more time. Sabbatical perhaps???

I will start "work" in earnest today at the Theologie Fakultie (well, I tried to spell it right, who knows??). Here's my schedule for Wednesday and Thursday --

WEDNESDAY
12:00 noon Lecture in Liena Hoffman's Intro to NT class (freshman and sophmores)
1:00 p.m. Lunch with NT faculty
2:00 p.m. NT Seminar -- faculty and grad students -- I will give a paper and then have some time for discussion -- about 2 hours

I hope to be able to go on a tour of a local township after the seminar.

THURSDAY
11:00 a.m. Lecture in Jeremy Punt's Pauline Epistles class (Juniors and seniors) -- 2 hours
1:00 p.m. Lunch with the candidates I will be interviewing
4:00 p.m. Web-cam interviews with each of the two candidates -- 9:00 a.m. EST time
6:00 p.m. More time one-on-one with the candidates

I haven't decided yet where I will roam on Friday and Saturday -- but will let you know!
The weather is exquisite -- high 70's and low 80's, with cool evenings. Not a cloud in the sky today. I'll check back in here by tomorrow evening I hope, and perhaps have a picture or two! Now -- wish me luck (and all the other drivers on the road) as I "drive left, look right."

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It sounds like you've already had an amazing time!!! I got to see TONS of elephants in San Diego and even visited (on a photo caravan) South Africa and thought of you. I love you!

Anonymous said...

Hi! Virginia!

How exciting to travel along with you through your blogg!
I'd rather be there with you physically as well and you would know what I mean if you were in this strange cold wintery weather lately...

Please, take good care of yourself!

Jisun Kwak

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a gorgeous place and fabulous people! And I'm so glad to hear you are teaching classes. I hope that feels good. Take Care! dp

Anonymous said...

Dean Wiles,

Thank you for sharing your travels. I am terribly prone to the ailment of "provincial-ness" and the travels I share vicariously through others are medicinal. I am very interested in the travels you will make to Korea. Thank you for the posts.

Brotherly,
Jesse Pettengill
St. John's Campus student